Our search has the following Google-type functionality:
If you use '+' at the start of a word, that word will be present in the search results.
eg. Harry +Potter
Search results will contain 'Potter'.
If you use '-' at the start of a word, that word will be absent in the search results.
eg. Harry -Potter
Search results will not contain 'Potter'.
If you use 'AND' between 2 words, then both those words will be present in the search results.
eg. Harry AND Potter
Search results will contain both 'Harry' and 'Potter'.
NOTE: AND will only work with single words not phrases.
If you use 'OR' between 2 single words, then either or both of those words will be present in the search results.
eg. 'Harry OR Potter'
Search results will contain just 'Harry', or just 'Potter', or both 'Harry' and 'Potter'.
NOTE: OR will only work with single words not phrases.
If you use 'NOT' before a word, that word will be absent in the search results. (This is the same as using the minus symbol).
eg. 'Harry NOT Potter'
Search results will not contain 'Potter'.
NOTE: NOT will only work with single words not phrases.
If you use double quotation marks around words, those words will be present in that order.
eg. "Harry Potter"
Search results will contain 'Harry Potter', but not 'Potter Harry'.
NOTE: "" cannot be combined with AND, OR & NOT searches.
If you use '*' in a word, it performs a wildcard search, as it signifies any number of characters. (Searches cannot start with a wildcard).
Search results will contain words starting with 'Pot' and ending in 'er', such as 'Potter'.
Donegal has fewer genealogical records than most Irish counties. Donegal families are a mixture of native Gaelic families... [more]
Ever wanted to understand more about your ancestor's sea travels? From transportation to trade, adventure to emigration, through... [more]
Featuring new coverage of DNA genealogy, the new edition of this bestselling online genealogy guide shows how to begin or... [more]
Shows us the precariousness of life in occupied France, when loyalties were compromised and life could change in an instant.... [more]
Essential handbook for anyone researching Jewish family history. This is a concise account of the history of the Jewish... [more]
This book is perfect for family historians researching their American roots. The maps can help you: put research in geographical... [more]
* Revised and updated second edition of this best-selling guide to Scotland's family history * Updated throughout and with... [more]
* Revised and updated second edition of this best-selling guide to air force history * Comprehensive guide to tracing the... [more]
* Comprehensive introduction to researching coalminers and coalmining history * Identifies key coalmining sources for family... [more]
* Fully revised second edition of the best guide to Yorkshire's family history * Updated with a new introduction and a new... [more]
Whether you're just beginning your family tree or a longtime genealogy researcher, the Family Tree German Genealogy Guide... [more]
Guide to over 4,000 Scottish family names and their clan affiliations with pull out map of Scotland. Whether you are a Highlander... [more]
Neil Sentance revisits his native Lincolnshire riverlands and fields, farms and market towns, to explore the history of his... [more]
Examines the rise and fall of the aristocratic Lacy family in England, Ireland, Wales and Normandy. As one of the first truly... [more]
Much family history focuses on digging around archives and web searches. You might discover favourite family recipes, information... [more]
A comprehensive how-to guide on how to trace your genealogy and family history in the city and County of Limerick. [more]
* Fully revised second edition of Peter Ducker's best-selling guide to military medals * Concise introduction to British... [more]
A professional genealogist reveals how to get past brick walls in research and unearth hard-to-find ancestors [more]
* Essential introduction to West Country ancestors for family historians * Covers Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and the city... [more]
Leading military historian and researcher, Jonathan Gawne explains and shares the techniques he uses to research archives,... [more]
* The ideal introduction for anyone researching the history of their house and home * Identifies the key local and national... [more]
Scattered Ghosts is the poignant, powerful story of an all but disappeared world, told through the extraordinary experiences... [more]
* Second edition of Simon Fowler's best-selling guide to researching the British Army * Fully revised and updated to include... [more]
* A practical guide to researching Irish history using the internet * Shows how online sources can be accessed and interpreted... [more]
First published in 1973, this collection of notes and illustrative documents compiled by Yorkshire historian Sir Charles Travis... [more]