Speakout is the English language course for adult learners that includes video content from the BBC to engage students and make teaching easier. It follows a balanced approach to topics, language development and skills work. Speaking activities are prominent, but not at the expense of the other core skills of reading, writing and listening, which are developed systematically throughout.
Lessons are designed to consolidate language and act as a springboard for further speaking and writing tasks. Each unit follows the pattern:
- An introductory lead-in page with learning objectives
- Two main input lessons covering grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and skills work,
- A functional lesson, which develops useful communication skills and includes strategies for developing speaking and listening skills
- A motivating skills consolidation lesson based on a BBC DVD clip. These act as a springboard for further speaking and writing tasks.
- The unit culminates with a page of Lookback exercises.
Each Students' Book has:
* Ten to 12 units with 90 to 120 hours of teaching material (depending on level)
* Comprehensive Language Bank with detailed explanations and extra practice.
* Photo bank to expand vocabulary.
* Audio and video scripts.
* Refreshed with new visuals and texts, including content from the BBC and other sources.
* A revised vocabulary syllabus with more recycling of language.
* Clear signposting on the page to make teaching and learning easier.
The DVD has BBC clips and interviews, and audio material for use in class.