Pivnyak Gennadiy Grigoryevich (1940) graduated from Dnepropetrovsk Mining Institute in 1963 (nowadays National Mining University ) with a specialization in Engineering Electromechanics. He has been affiliated with the NMU since 1963: Rector (1982), and Head of the Electric Power Supply Systems Department (1976). In 1967 he was awarded Candidate of the Technical Sciences degree, and Doctor of Technical Sciences in 1981. He is a prominent scientist in the field of power engineering. Being the founder of scientific school of mining and metallurgical power engineering, he developed general theory, design concept and synthetic procedures of powerful systems of electromagnetic transmission of overfrequency energy. His fundamental research helped to implement the latest electrotechnics for mining and metallurgical industry and machine-building industry, supply equipment for electric drive, transport and equipment with specific load.