ABBEY'S BOOKSELLER PICK ----- A powerful message conveyed in the form of slam poetry by a noted indigenous writer/illustrator, and recommended for older readers rather than little children because some of the images conveyed may be too confronting. "All that I'm wishing, is that you take a moment to listen..." it begins, and the reader is led through the poet's urgent plea for understanding and reconciliation. It's a rush through our shared and unequal history, from the oldest culture in the world to an indigenous view of contemporary society and the wrongs that could be righted if people listen to each other with respect and the desire to understand. Busy illustrations, sometimes almost street art in style, add weight to the text. I can see this on the award lists next year... Lindy
All that I’m wishing, Is that you take a moment to listen... A slam poetry persuasive and powerful vision of unity from award-winning First Nations creator Gregg Dreise. Passionate, yet peaceful, Common Wealth is a compelling plea for a future of truth, togetherness and respect for our nation’s deep history.
• A picture book for mature readers.
• From multi award-winning author and artist, Gregg Dreise - a proud descendant of the Kamilaroi and Euahlayi people.
• Valuable resource for discussion about the importance of moving forward together as a nation, with truth and respect for our history and Traditional Custodians.
• Timely themes for National Sorry Day and NAIDOC Week.
• Themes: Indigenous history; Australian history; Australia Day; Australian anthem; unity; community. Contains some confronting images.